This Nutcracker Number Game is a fun (and humorous) way to practice numeral recognition or counting.
Find more Christmas Pre-K activities here!
With this Nutcracker Number printable, there are two math skill level options for differentiation:
- Numeral Recognition: Have children match the numerals on the nuts to the numerals on the nutcracker.
- Match Sets of Objects to Numerals: Have children count the nuts and match it to the number on the nutcracker.
This set includes numbers 1-12, but you can use less numbers depending on your students’ level.
Prepare the Nutcracker Number Game
Print the nutcracker cards and laminate if you choose. These print 2 cards per page. Print the nut cards with numerals or the ones with nuts to count, depending on your students’ skill level.
You can also print both sets of nut cards and add both to your Math Center for differentiation, and have children choose the set to fit their needs.
How to Play the Nutcracker Game
This activity would work well in a Math Center. Children can spread the Nutcracker cards out on the table or on the floor. Have the put them in numerical order. Shuffle the nut cards.
For the Number Matching activity, children will pull a card from the stack and either match the number on the card to the number in the nutcrackers’ mouth.
For the Counting activity, they will count how many nuts are on the card and match it to the number in the nutcracker’s mouth.
Alternative Ways to Play the Game
Here are some variations on ways to play or set up the game:
- Choose one Nutcracker card, cut out just the mouth part where the number is, leaving an open space. Attach the Nutcracker card to a container, such as a shoe box, cereal box, or paper bag. Call out a number for children to find and “feed” the card to the Nutcracker. Or have children roll game dice and find the same number card.
- Slip the Nutcracker cards (uncut) into clear page protectors, add Velcro, and hook the pages together on binder rings to make an activity book.
- Print the cards smaller and make a file folder game.
Download the Nutcracker Number Game
Note: This is a free printable, just click to download.