These 15 Earth Day Picture Word Cards are a valuable resource for expanding children’s vocabulary and ideal for use in the Writing Center.
They also provide an excellent opportunity for kids to learn new words related to environmental awareness and sustainability.
Earth Day words included are: trash, garbage, garbage truck, recycle, bin, Earth, litter, compost, pollution, wildlife, plant, paper, plastic, glass, cans. The words “trash” and “garbage” both use the same picture because they are synonyms. You can either choose which word you prefer, or use both to show children that sometimes two words can have the same meaning.
Picture word cards help preschool children’s vocabulary development by introducing them to learn new words. When a child sees a picture and hears the corresponding word, they are more likely to remember the word and its meaning.
Find more word card sets in the Picture Word Cards collection.
How to use the word cards:
Here are some ways to use these Earth Day picture word cards.
- You can use the cards in a pocket chart, word wall, or picture dictionary to enhance the writing center in your Pre-K classroom.
- Use the word cards as part of “Writer’s Workshop”, independent small group, or arrival activity. Put these cards on a table along with some paper and markers for children who are ready to copy words on paper or dry erase board.
- Create picture dictionaries by using a hole puncher to make a hole in the top left corner (a gray dot is provided on the card to line them up correctly). Connect the cards together with a metal binder ring.
- You may want to incorporate these word cards into your theme by displaying them in a pocket chart. Afterwards, you can hang them on a picture dictionary ring for easy reference.
- Use the cards to practice syllable skills by clapping or stomping the syllables of each word.
Download the Earth Day Picture Word Cards:
This set comes in both lowercase and uppercase, so you can choose the set you want to use.
Note: This is a free printable, just click to download.